Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.75 Average
Spam Thread
11-17-2015, 09:06 AM
RE: Spam Thread
Might as well. Society is coming undone as we speak, we are less civilized now than we were a thousand years ago.

[Image: mabinogi_morrighan_.JPG]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2015, 11:32 AM
(11-17-2015 09:06 AM)Odin Wrote:  Might as well. Society is coming undone as we speak, we are less civilized now than we were a thousand years ago.

>Black Plague

>Crusades

>Slavery

>Witch/Homosexual burning

>Dark Ages

Sure, pretty much none of these are from 1000 years ago but you can't deny we have been better as a people since then.

Like, remember how The Great Depression was followed by World War 2? Hell, people probably started spouting 'End of Days' shit during World War 1. So chill, humanity always has its ups and down with the end result, us coming out a little better as a people.

Same shit, different century.

[Image: chibi_illaoi_by_huly0w-d9hxwfl.jpg]
11-17-2015, 04:21 PM
(11-17-2015 11:32 AM)Aerial-Rave Wrote:  
(11-17-2015 09:06 AM)Odin Wrote:  Might as well. Society is coming undone as we speak, we are less civilized now than we were a thousand years ago.

>Black Plague

>Crusades

>Slavery

>Dark Ages

Sure, pretty much none of these are from 1000 years ago but you can't deny we have been better as a people since then.

Like, remember how The Great Depression was followed by World War 2? Hell, people probably started spouting 'End of Days' shit during World War 1. So chill, humanity always has its ups and down with the end result, us coming out a little better as a people.

All that's coming back into style if it hasn't already.
Kinda makes me sad Y2K wasn't real.

[Image: IPYo1Jk.jpg?2]
11-18-2015, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2015 04:08 AM by Odin.)
(11-17-2015 04:21 PM)Chaos Wrote:  All that's coming back into style if it hasn't already.
Kinda makes me sad Y2K wasn't real.

Y2K was real. Public awareness was raised in time for countermeasures to be implemented to keep it from becoming the disaster that we were warned about.

Even now I still encounter equipment in the field that is not Y2K compatible and currently thinks it is operating in the year 1985.

Oh and its not over. An even worse problem exists in 2036, at which time the 32-bit unsigned integer that most platforms use to store time will overflow- resetting to 0. When that happens basically everything that isn't using a 64-bit integer to keep track of time will reset to 1/1/1970 00:00:00 UTC and start over counting up from there. This could cause serious problems for sensitive equipment that must keep track of the date and time in order to operate.

(11-17-2015 11:32 AM)Aerial-Rave Wrote:  

>Black Plague

>Crusades

>Slavery

>Dark Ages

>Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, Mumps, and other disease that we had nearly eradicated are making a frighteningly strong comeback thanks to the anti-vaxx crowd refusing the immunizations that drove these diseases to the bring of extinction.

>The middle east is once again in turmoil, as we have again mounted a crusade to bring Western "Freedom" to the holy land and its surrounding area. We keep making this mistake over and over again.

>We're all still slaves. Slaves to big corporations, and the wealthy elite that control them. It just isn't called slavery anymore, because that's not proper. Working yourself to the brink of death just to survive. Getting ahead is nearly impossible. With some effort though you can at least move down towards being a slumlord at least.

>Still happening on both counts, just in a less public 'burning'. These problems have not gone away, only been swept under the rug and forgotten.

>Dark ages don't necessarily have to be a technological setback. It can just as easily be a persistent economic downturn and associated reduction in morale and artistic pursuits.

(11-17-2015 11:32 AM)Aerial-Rave Wrote:  Sure, pretty much none of these are from 1000 years ago but you can't deny we have been better as a people since then.

There are always people preaching that the end is coming, but after all the end is always coming until it gets here. We don't know when exactly.

But these are dark times indeed, and I see how humanity has taken a step forward and then two steps back just in my own lifetime.

11-18-2015, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2015 09:11 AM by R. Fresco.)
Odin dateline='0000000000' Wrote:  Oh and its not over. An even worse problem exists in 2036, at which time the 32-bit unsigned integer that most platforms use to store time will overflow- resetting to 0. When that happens basically everything that isn't using a 64-bit integer to keep track of time will reset to 1/1/1970 00:00:00 UTC and start over counting up from there. This could cause serious problems for sensitive equipment that must keep track of the date and time in order to operate.

I swore it was Dec 31st, 1969 at like 8pm or something, but I forget how to check

Turns out it's a signed integer. So the wrap around makes it thinks it's Dec 13th, 1901
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
But you were right, 1/1/1970 00:00 is the earliest implementation.
11-18-2015, 10:44 AM
I just want all hell to break lose so I can be part of some red dawn style shit. Is that too much to ask? Valhalla or bust, motherfuckers.
11-18-2015, 12:14 PM
(11-18-2015 09:05 AM)R. Fresco Wrote:  
Odin dateline='0000000000' Wrote:  Oh and its not over. An even worse problem exists in 2036, at which time the 32-bit unsigned integer that most platforms use to store time will overflow- resetting to 0. When that happens basically everything that isn't using a 64-bit integer to keep track of time will reset to 1/1/1970 00:00:00 UTC and start over counting up from there. This could cause serious problems for sensitive equipment that must keep track of the date and time in order to operate.

I swore it was Dec 31st, 1969 at like 8pm or something, but I forget how to check

Turns out it's a signed integer. So the wrap around makes it thinks it's Dec 13th, 1901
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
But you were right, 1/1/1970 00:00 is the earliest implementation.

Is it a signed int? I thought it was unsigned for some reason. Either way, 32-bit int rollover = bad news for everything that was supposed to be using it.

And that happens at a precise and documented second Unix time, which will take place globally within a few milliseconds as devices share timestamps and coordinate with each other.

The fix of course is to migrate infrastructure to 64-bit signed int, which iirc will last for billions of years, but it takes time to make such a large scale infrastructure changeover.

That's why y2k was avoided- it was a simple test to check for and deploy countermeasures to Y2K. Fixing Y2K36 is not so simple, because it is a kernel level flaw in most operating systems. Of course patches for it can be implemented and deployed well in advance since we knew about it a full 30 years before it became a problem.

11-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Shippo got me Fallout 4 for my bday and an XB1 controller for my PC (the grey and silver one from Halo 5), Blimpy finished my refs, and I got $20 from my parents and with me getting off work an hour early, this bday is pretty good so far and it hasn't even really started yet.

My discord server https://discord.gg/kFBEvtyman
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Happy B-day Alter.
11-18-2015, 07:23 PM
(11-18-2015 03:37 PM)Blubberbutt Wrote:  Shippo got me Fallout 4 for my bday

At least you got a good controller.