Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Writing Help/Critque Thread
04-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Writing Help/Critque Thread
I know that we have a lot of writers on here and this thread is meant to help them become the very best they can be and give helpful criticism. Now this does not revolve entirely revolve around fictional/non-fictional prose, it can also be in regards reviews, essays, essentially anything that involves you typing or writing words on a screen.

Currently working on quite a number of stories, most of them inspired by Japanese super hero shows, but a lot of them are purely original. I've had this one in particular on my mind for quite some time. It's about a Samurai who gets ostracized from his village after the lord he serves denounces him. He later travels Westward and by pure accident gets appointed as one of King Arthur's knights.

~*~*My Blog Of Blissful Perfection*~*~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2014, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 09:02 AM by Froot-Loup.)
RE: Writing Help/Critque Thread
If I had the time, I honestly could go into more detail with this and point out some more specific tips for problems I see with Weight Gain Stories, but due to my shitty schedule I haven't had the chance to do any writing myself, let alone read some more recent stories in the community.

So in lieu of a more in-depth analysis, I guess I can try to give some general pointers for the time being.

Basics: Usage Errors

I think everyone here has got basic spelling and grammar down pat (Though it's always good to re-read your writing and make editing passes just in case). What I see more often with peoples' stories on here are the more subtle problems that tend to pop up.

The biggest I can think of off the top of my head are usage errors. What are those? Something that, while it may be correctly spelled is still a typo simply because it's the wrong word.

Simple example:

Brienne was really digging they're style.

Haha, whoa what the fuck. Just look at that: Even though everything is spelled correctly, doesn't that just bug the fuck out of you? Obviously it's supposed to be their, not they're, but the nasty thing about usage errors is they can hide even deeper than that.

Another example I just thought of! Earlier I used the term In lieu, but I can easily see somebody not familiar with the phrase typing In loo instead. "What's so bad about that?" you might wonder... Well the former means "In place of", while the latter means you're in the shitter.

There's all sorts of ways people can screw up words like this, so probably the easiest solution is to just Google that crap if you feel like you're not sure it's correct. Spell check isn't going to fix this stuff for you, it's something you need to be aware of yourself.

One last thing, and probably the most common usage error:

Its = Possessive form. Its his sick ninja sword.

It's = Contraction (It is). It's a fake.

That apostrophe may be tiny, but it's pretty damn important people, though I don't think I've seen that one around these parts.

I'll probably post more later, most likely more directly dealing with weight gain and story writing, though that of course will be a bit less objective.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply