Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Taboo: Extreme Obesity
05-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Taboo: Extreme Obesity
This isn't a new episode from the National Geographic series "Taboo", but I was re-watching it and thought they brought up some interesting points for discussion. One of the points was that the relationship becomes more and more one-sided, where one person (the feeder) holds power over the other person (the feedee).

What do you think of this? To me, it seems like getting a tattoo of a lover's name on your body: it's fine if you never break up, but if you break up you'll have to deal with fixing this tattoo. In the same way, a relationship where the feeder is basically the feedee's caretaker doesn't seem inherently terrible (assuming both accept this as a part of this kind of relationship), but if they break up then the feedee is severely disadvantaged with things like mobility, washing, and other care.

Link to the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrjsstp5aw

I am convinced that you stole my wife to make her his priestess.
[Image: TPg6VcL.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2014, 01:11 PM
RE: Taboo: Extreme Obesity
I can not list examples but I have heard tale of that exact misfortune taking place. This is why having an immobile partner, to me personally, is wonderful in fantasy but the practicality of it in reality makes me want to avoid it completely. However 300-400 pounds based on height or body type would be just dandy Tongue

Yes it is one sided and it is alot of having children. You accepted the responsibility of caring for this person because you essentially created them, and abandoning them knowing they can not fend for themselves is about as low as you can get.
05-20-2014, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 03:07 AM by Odin.)
I personally draw the upper limit at 300, simply because at that point she starts to lose her ability to stay physically active. I still do like outdoors stuff like hiking and boating, and it just isn't enjoyable anymore when she can't keep up because she is having trouble breathing.

Having an immobile partner just doesn't work at all for me.

Other people though where they are willing and able to take care of such a person for life, to each their own. It just ends badly if they ever split up because of the inability to do anything on their own.

[Image: mabinogi_morrighan_.JPG]
05-20-2014, 04:55 PM
I wonder if any of them have sued during a divorce for splitting the cost of bariatric surgery or hiring a trainer & nutritionist, since they both came into a marriage under the idea one would eat to immobility as the other acted as caretaker.

05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
I believe I watched that episode. The most frightening cases are diabetics losing limbs.

Other than that, the media really needs to stop using the term "obesity epidemic" in such a matter-of-fact scientific way.
06-02-2014, 03:04 AM
It is pure sensationalism. A quick glance at a dictionary lets anyone know that obesity simply cannot be classified as an "epidemic". For fuck's sake, if they're going to use "epidemic" then at least call it a "pandemic". At least that is accurate for scale..."epidemic" is wrong all around.